Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fresh meat at the job sites

As I noted in my other blog, I'm looking for a new job, preferably in product management or product marketing. I've got resumes on just about every major job site, and this morning, I decided to update my resume and repost it. Unfortunately, at one of the sites, I uploaded a new resume rather than updating the existing one. Within minutes, I started to receive "spam" job offers. One insurance company sent me three identical requests to interview for a sales job within four minutes. Another firm actually set up an interview date and time for me, for a sales job with an unknown company. I'll probably also get a barrage of emails from franchisers.

If any of them had bothered to actually read my resume, they'd see that I don't have sales experience, but that doesn't seem to matter. These jobs are either commission-based, or they require a cash investment in a business on my part. Job turnover is incredibly high, so there's always demand for "fresh meat." In turn, the people who are sending me emails are being compensated based on the number of interviews they schedule or the number of franchises they sell, so it's quantity, not quality, that they're looking for.

The good news is that the frequency of spam job offers will taper off in a few days. Now if I could only get a serious offer from a real company...

Update, October 20, 2008: As I predicted, when I opened my email this morning, there was an email from another insurance company, a securities company, and a "consulting" company that uses high-pressure tactics to get small businesses to sign up for expensive, and often useless, services. (I also got an email from a franchiser last night, after I published the original post.)

Updated update, same day: Now I'm actually starting to get email from lonely singles! I had no idea that CareerBuilder was a singles site!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: